Friday, May 3, 2013

National College Decision Day -- & Jeans




   I've been working for almost two months now, that means I've walked into Jackson Intermediate for about 8 Fridays.  And of those 8 Fridays, at least 7 of them I was terribly over-dressed.  You see, on Thursdays (the day I don't work) the principal makes an announcement at the end of the day that goes something like this:  TEACHERS AND STAFF -  Tomorrow let's make it a Fun Friday and wear out Wildcat t-shirts and jeans, or something like this:  TEACHERS AND STAFF - because of STARR testing,  let's be comfy and wear our sweatpants, tennis shoes and blue and gold Wildcat t-shirts.  Great, right? Especially for those teachers who tire of wearing uncomfortable pants and heels.  But the problem is, in all those weeks, I never got an email forward of that announcement and even if I did, I've never received a WILDCAT blue t-shirt.  Another reason it's tough walking in new.
    So, every Friday I diligently show up in my best flowy skirt only to meet teacher after teacher decked out in denim.  This has finally become very comical to me.

I was already preparing for my wardrobe tomorrow and when I say prepare, I mean I spent a little time staring at my closet from rack to rack contemplating shirts and skirts and pants and sweaters (because it's crazy cold down here right now -- what?? in May??).  But luckily, I checked my school email and I'm giddy to copy this forward:



Faculty and Staff,
Let’s all wear our college shirts and jeans tomorrow in support of National College Decision Day.


Yea!  I made the email chain.  And I get to wear jeans. And I get to search my closet for some Concordia University gear which I have very little.  I considered going all Husker because my closet is not lacking when it comes to red and black.  But I changed my mind.  What a great chance to be missional, and tell someone about my favorite Christian college in small town Nebraska, and how much I learned about faith, how much I loved the people, how much it shaped me.  I just can't pass it up.  And I need to give a big thanks to my in-laws who bought me my only Concordia-Seward sweatshirt which will come in handy tomorrow morning with our frigid winds.  Thank you.

I don't know anything about National College Decision Day, but I'm so glad it prompted Jeans day.  So go ahead, pull out that old alumnus shirt, I know I am, and wear it proud.

(I dearly wanted to find old pics of me in front of this building (Weller Hall), but with all the searching for jeans and Concordia clothes to wear, I didn't have time. :-))


2 comments:

  1. Didn't we, at some point, take DOZENS of pictures sprawled out on the Concordia sign? I'm sure they were classy. Wish you could have found them. And, I'm assuming by "the people" you mean your favorite roommate. If that's the case, love you too! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad we could be of help.
    Phil and Kathy

    ReplyDelete