Friday, May 24, 2013

The Ballerina & the Belly Dancer




It was dance recital night and I was determined to get my pictures. Of course determination isn't always enough. Sometimes it just takes waiting.

You'll notice in this picture, and if you counted, there is a Ward missing. 

I figured the best way to explain why Lanie is in cognito, is to walk you through the evening. 

It all started with a one hour prep.  Ignore the shirtless child.  Please don't call child protective services.  I didn't want her messing up her dress quite yet, if you know what I mean.  The movie worked wonders to keep them still while I braided and curled hair. 





A quick stop in the front yard before rushing to the theatre for call time.





















The rest of us waiting in the theatre.  I tell everyone that sitting through recital is payback to Elijah for all the many, many hours the girls sit through his sports, but really, if he were honest, he'd tell you that he enjoys it.  Especially the crazy hip hop dances.
And my mom -- she'll tell you that this is the 24th year she's sat through a dance recital.


And probably my dad too.


Because pictures with a flash during the show were a no-no, I opted to just watch and enjoy.  I'm glad I did.  I was on the edge of my seat watching dance #2 Jai Ho (Lydia) and dance #4 - A Dream is a Wish (Lanie) and was giddy along with a few tears.  I was such a proud mama.

I did grab my camera at the end of the finale when the students with perfect attendance were called. We Wards really, really like perfect attendance. :-)
Lydia looks fine.
But, Lanie - she won't look up.


Still won't look up.
I whisper to Kenny, "She's crying."
I don't think he believed me.


I get Lydia's attention and mouth the words -- "Get Lanie - make her look up!"  I really wanted my PERFECT ATTENDANCE picture.


It wasn't going to happen.  Lanie wanted no part in looking out into the sea of faces. I knew for sure she was crying.


And I was right.  I got this small glimpse and she's got black mascara running down her cheek.  I found out later that she, "Just wanted mama."
ah.

When the show is finally over, we go out to meet them.  Of course we are excited, inspired and still tapping to the beat of the music. We forget that the girls have been sitting backstage for over an hour - way past the recital high.  Lydia was okay with the attention.




But Lanie, not so much.   
She would not. WOULD NOT pose for a picture. 



But Kenny worked really hard to get her back to good. He's always a pro at that. 


And Elijah did his best. 




But get Elijah involved and someone is bound to get hurt. 



But it didn't last long.  Eventually, and I knew, if we stayed out there long enough, and quit trying to MAKE Lanie pose on my command - she'd come around.
And she did.




Take away the stage lights, the people, and the pressure and I had my ballerina and belly dancer back to good. 


And best friends. 



1 comment:

  1. Great pictures and write up. So sorry that we couldn't be there. Miss seeing the kids and you and Ken. Will be glad when I'm able to travel again.
    Love
    Phil

    ReplyDelete