Friday, May 10, 2013

Braggin' on E




I tend to talk about the girls a lot (and since Lydia's birthday is tomorrow - even more) because I spend more time with them sitting at dance practices and swim lessons, and hanging out while the boys go to baseball practices. But this post is all about E, and since I'm cramming in a week, quite long.

LSA had their elementary Spring Program on Tuesday night. I am such a sucker for programs.  I don't care if my kid is hidden in the back row and never makes it to the microphone, I will be there will bells on, and camera ready.  Actually, that's a lie, it seems every time we have a must-have-camera experience, I forget it or the battery dies.   We give thanks for cell phones with mediocre camera settings.

Lucky for Elijah's shorter height, we usually don't have to crane our necks to see him.  Oh, but he can't stand that he was put in the front this year.  One day out of the blue, totally out of the blue, like he was having a conversation in his head, he blurts out, "I just don't know why I'm in the front.  I'm taller than Madison and Mina and they aren't in the front."  I'm pretty good at conversation whip-lash, so I figured it out, but it became so apparent that this really bothered him.  The same thing happened earlier in the year when he starting complaining about where he has to stand in alphabetical order (between two girls) and he never gets to stand by his friends.  He blamed Kenny for not taking my "B" last name.  He's just funny; the things that get him out of sorts.

But back to the program.  It had a patriotic theme which is always a sure thing.  If I wasn't emotional before, I was emotional then. And now my kid knows the star-spangled banner and the history behind the Liberty Bell and Statue of Liberty.  I applaud any music teacher who can teach 8,9, and 10-year-olds a 3-part-harmony.  The best part though is catching the eye of another parent.  We all share in the same desires - to see what our kids know. To see what they learn in those hours we are not with them. To see them looking sharp.  To see them be apart of something.  For some parents, to see their kids in the spotlight, if for only a second.  I took great pride in watching Elijah stand in the front row, belting out songs, and doing yee-haw motions with appropriate vigor.  I'm so glad he was in the front row, because then he couldn't see anyone behind him to know that not every 3rd grader was as involved as he was.  And I know singing and doing hand motions are not for every kid, but as long as he's up for it, I'll take pride in my patriot.

On Wednesday, I took off work for another field trip.  I figure as long as I just have substitute status, I can get away with it.  Elijah's 3rd grade class went to the Houston Heritage Society.  At first E didn't want me to go but he said it so delicately.  One night when I asked about it, he said, "Uh, well, I don't want to be mean, but, um, you don't have to go."  Of course, I was a little hurt but figured I'd wait a day and ask again.  Sure enough, this time, his response:  "I don't care.  You can come if you want."  Nice, right?  But, I wasn't going to miss it.  For those of you in Houston, take a trip to the Heritage Society. It's a park right downtown. It's great history of Houston's pioneer days.  I think we all learned a lot.
And I learned that Elijah likes to be cool with his friends.  He wasn't rude, but for the first time, I could see the kid who prefers mom to be near, but not in the mix.  Gone are the days of hand-holding and crossing streets.

Last Elijah-centric thing.  He had an 8pm baseball game.  Short story - tough loss. They have all been tough losses and hard to sit through at times.  But my take-away from it, for him, is that he's going to be okay win or lose.  I was a bit skeptical last year when his team would lose and how poorly he took it.  And I've written countless times how competitive he is.  That hasn't changed, but after awhile, loss after loss, you start to see it for what it is - a game, and a record that no one will ever be concerned about after the season is over.  A win would be nice.  But, to sound completely cliche, I want him to love the game.

Actually, one more thing to brag about - I got my hair trimmed yesterday and added some bangs. All day it was trimmed.  Not a single person noticed until after dinner when Elijah, of all people, said, "Your hair looks shorter mom; what'd you do?"
Love him.






1 comment:

  1. I noticed your hair on Wednesday but since we'd already had a conversation about your hair on Tuesday, I didn't want you to think I am sweatin' your hair. :)

    ReplyDelete