Monday, July 15, 2013

Unplanned, but Totally Predicatable




A family walks into a Petsmart with full knowledge that the local humane society is showing animals for adoption.  This same family has a young daughter named Lanie who is soon turning five whose only birthday wish is to open a box with holes in it and have an animal hiding inside.  First she wanted a kitten, then a puppy, and then back to the kitten.  This young girl's mom, okay me, had the bright idea that on our very empty Saturday afternoon that we head over and just "check" out the animals and see what might be a good fit for our family.

Two hours later and many kittens held, many animal advocates spoken to, and many, many pleas - the very same mom, of the young girl soon turning five, was filling out paperwork, for not one but two kittens named Lucy and Lioness, sisters who we just couldn't separate. Their mother was killed by a car, and have been bottle-fed every since by their foster mom.

This is Claudette, who Lanie really wanted.
Luckily, a much more realistic father, Kenny stepped in before this cat-loving mom could sign up for adopting three kittens, because besides the sisters, their was feisty Claudette that Lanie really had her heart set on. I did adore her.  While the rest of the cats tried to sleep, she was up and climbing and batting their tails.  I bet those kittens were begging for someone to adopt Claudette just to get her out of that cage.

And when you have three children, you might as well own three kittens.  At least that was my philosophy.  But, we decided against Claudette and stopped at two because that's a lot of cat food and vet bills and kitty litter, and now on Wednesday we will be the proud owners of some very tiny tabby kittens.

I do see trouble coming our way though.  Three kids, two kittens, and everyone wants their own lap cat. Since this was Lanie's idea, I do believe she deserves first dibs.  But I overheard Elijah tell his Grammie that he got one and his sister's were sharing the other.  I'm not so sure he got the memo about Lanie's birthday present.  I do know for sure that with kittens in the house, and over-anxious kids, there will be a lot of, "Don't hold her like that.  Put her down.  Let her sleep. You hold her first, then you.  Take turns."  It may be enough for us to throw up our hands and adopt Claudette as well, just for the sanity.

Or maybe not. Two sister kittens who the foster mom said, "love each other greatly," may be just the right mix with our old, faithful 16-year-old cat.  I guess we'll find out on later in the week.

I'll keep you posted.
Oh and about that birthday box with the holes in it, we'll just have to pretend that happens.

This is Lioness.
This is Lucy. 









1 comment:

  1. Aaaawwwww..so sweet. I can't wait to meet them :) I love the tan, black and white. Reminds me of my Samantha.

    ReplyDelete