Monday, July 8, 2013

Droppin' off my Camper




Super excited Counselors singing to E

      Well, we did it.  We dropped Elijah off at his first church camp.  Real teen counselors (who were incredibly excited), a real camp schedule, and no parents.  It's a short camp - only 4 days and compared to a friend of ours whose 9-year-old daughter goes to a 6-week camp in New York every summer, this is nothing. But for us, for Elijah who rarely goes to bed without a song and a quick back rub from his dear ol' mom, it is a big deal.


      This camp though, is not really a camp in the sense that they're roughing it.  I feel like the kids are more in a kid resort with a big water park and mini golf and cabins cut in the shape of
The too-good-to-be-true water park
animals that have fireman poles and slides as an exit. Crazy stuff.  Even Lydia was a bit taken in and wishes now she'd signed up to go.

      It's not my idea of camp, but with the discount we got through our school and the number of friends who were also going, it seemed like the perfect opportunity for Elijah to try on camp and see how he likes it.  And I shouldn't be so harsh.  While the amenities are too comfortable for my taste, the message of the Gospel will still be shared and friendships (I hope) will still be made.  
   
   
The girls writing sweet letters to their brothers for mail time
                                                                                                I think the next 3 nights will be more difficult  
for me than for Elijah. I am going to wonder  
how long it's taking him to fall asleep. How
early did he wake up?  Did he take a shower? Is
he meeting new boys in his cabin?  Is he reading during the HOUR-long quiet time (which he  was not happy about)? Does he like the food? Is he playing all the games?  Is he complaining  about the heat? Is he too hyper? Did he get our letters? Is he wearing sunscreen? Is he being kind? Is he out in God's creation?  Is he singing? Is he learning about Jesus? Does he love his independence? Is his faith getting stronger? 

Elijah is in the Tiger cabin.  Doesn't this scream, Disney. 



     I can't wait to pick him up and ask him all of these questions - not bombard him, but to slowly throughout the days, find out just what camp means to him.  And then to share it with you. 

    In the words of Lydia, tonight, as we were getting ready for bed, 
"I miss Elijah."  
     
    That's good.  That's what we want. 




1 comment:

  1. So sweet! I had tears in my eyes at the end. Love your sweet kids!

    ReplyDelete