Monday, July 29, 2013

Documenting


I was out to dinner with my best friend who asked me how the blogging was going.  If you don't already know Tina, go to her blog bestoftimesblog.com.  She is truly the greatest example of a blogger.  She's funny, honest, sometimes makes me cry, and knows how to spin a story.  Not to mention, she's a disciplined writer.  You can always count on her to give you insight to something you've never considered before.

She asked me if I was blogging because I love to write and tell stories, or to document.  I believe I answered both, but I'm not sure.  But as of late, my time and energy I would usually give to writing seem to be a bit depleted.  Must be the sunny weather.  Call it a dehydration of ideas.  And given that I've immersed myself in writing and literature the past 15 years, give or take one or two years off, I would really like to be the kind of blogger who always has a story to tell, or a point to share.

In the past few weeks, our little family has filled the days.  Not BIG stuff, but little things. Water slides, baseball games, kittens and diving from the diving board - but these things aren't always the stuff of stories. But they are things I don't want to forget.  So here's to a post of documenting.  More for me, then for you dear reader.  But I figure if it has impacted us, be it ever so small, then I need to write it down.

The Water Slide


 Our friends were generous enough to give us their big water slide after they installed their new pool. We were more than happy to take it off their hands.  Of course now we have a huge water slide and haven't yet found a place to store it. I think it may be akin to a boat owner who says the best two days of their lives is first, when they bought their boat, and the second, when they sold it.  I might be acting a bit dramatic because I'm predicting the storage issue come winter.  But for now, we'll relish in the opportunity to fill in every square inch of our backyard with kid toys and let them have a blast.
Inventive storage maneuvering can wait.

Every inch of space - taken.
 GO ASTROS!



I tell people this all the time, but for as big of an Astros fan that I used to be (and really still would be if we could get games on TV - darn that UVERSE), I hadn't been to a game in a lo-on-g time.  Whenever we'd get free tickets here and there, it was always just easier to send Kenny and Elijah.  Even though we'd agree that it's Lydia's and my turn, we would just keep voting for the boys to go.  But a couple of weekends ago, it was Faith and Family night so we decided it was time for the whole family to go with other families from our church, so we packed up a backpack full of food, saving gobs of money, and went up to the cheap seats.  It was a semi-close game for a while, but we ended up losing.  I don't think anyone cared though.  With the Astros, it's all about the experience.

By the end of the game, all the kids wanted to climb to the tippy top to touch the screen. 

Kittens



We can't seem to quit talking about the new felines in our life.  They are playful, sweet, and will try sleeping on the kid's bed, for a bit, until they are overcome with a desire to r-u-n-o-u-t-o-f-t-h-i-s-r-o-o-m-r-i-g-h-t-n-o-w.  (Thank you Mike for always making me laugh about this odd cat behavior.) They haven't become bold enough to venture downstairs, but they have decided it's okay to meet Radley, our very cranky old cat who wants nothing to do with them and meets them with a hiss and a growl every time and then runs away to the garage where (in my creative opinion) he pouts.  I keep reassuring him that he's still my #1, that he hasn't been replaced.  Who knew cats could be so sensitive (again in my creative opinion).

That's it for documenting.  If you held on (even with random cat talk), thanks.  Maybe I can come back with something wild and crazy next time.  For now - it's daily life.  Not the stuff of dreams, I suppose.  But it's stuff.  Good stuff.


1 comment: