Thursday, July 4, 2013

"D'ya think Aunt Jen will write about this on her blog?"



The short answer.
"Yes, absolutely I will."

I spent several entries writing about my nephew Clayton.  Now it's time to devote some time to my niece, Cayleigh - age 12 & best barrel-racer I've ever met.






      The whole week that Clayton was with us venturing all over Houston fun spots, his sister, Cayleigh and her mom were at a horse camp in a little town called Karnack.  She went from event to event, with her horse, to learn more about how to be a great barrel-racer.  And she was in jeans.  Then in the evenings, there was no cooling off at the campground swimming pool or popsicles at the camp sing-along.  Instead the two of them set up home in the trailer and slept alongside one another ready to do it all again the next day.  This may not seem severe to anyone else, but after the complaining I got from my kids after a half-hour in the heat, I don't think they could have been as tough as her.  And yet, I remember sweltering summers at camp, hot tents, and scratching mosquito bites that covered my ankles.  Maybe it was a bit uncomfortable, but that was part of the experience.   I realize after watching my niece and how well she roughed it all for the love of her sport, that my three kids are wimps.  They definitely need a little bit of summer heat in their blood.  Unfortunately though, I'm probably not the greatest example.  I love to be out doors, but I also love to have me some AC now that we're
hitting
over 100 degrees with humidity.


But this post isn't about my summer memories, or my soft kids.  Instead it's to celebrate Cayleigh and all her dedication and love of horses and her barrel-racing skills. We got to watch her in a final competition and she's so great.  We got a kick out of watching this sport that we only get to see once a year at the rodeo.  And unlike a ball game, you wait for her name to be called, watch intently for the 17 seconds it takes to race around 3 barrels and then cheer wildly.  A bit like a dance recital, I guess, and very exciting.

After her race, Cayleigh let all 3 kids ride her horse, Sienna.  Lanie was most thrilled and now wants a horse for her birthday.  She has somehow gotten it into her head that my sister is buying her one. (Deanna, did you read that?) When I told her we didn't have room for one she thought we could just buy a barn for it.  I love how simple things are for children.  The answers come so easy.  I almost hate having to tell them otherwise, that sometimes things are hard.   Maybe what I could do, is leave Lanie with Cayleigh for a week to walk in her shoes.  To get up in the morning and feed the horses, to brush them, clean the stalls, carry hay, carry tack - all in the heat.  Then she'll see how hard it can be.

Cayleigh's family

Knowing Lanie though and her wild spirit, all she'd remember is wearing her pink boots and riding the horse.   The rest would be forgotten.

Aunt Jen, Uncle Kenny & all your cousins. 
I guess that's how Cayleigh does it.  The hard work is merely a step because the reward is so great.

Thanks Cayleigh for letting us get a glimpse at what you love and what you do.
We love you for it.

We are your biggest fans.








No comments:

Post a Comment