Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Bunny Fever





     How many petting zoo's have I taken my kids to?  It's hypothetical, really, because there have been so many.  It's interesting though, both Elijah and Lydia have been kindly ambivalent to the baby goats, the geese, the llama, the donkey, and ducks.  They'll pet them, feed them and without prodding, move on out so the next line of kids can check out the animals.  I found out yesterday that farm animals are more Lanie's speed.
   
       LSA preschool was supposed to take a field trip to the Rodeo this week so all the kids could experience the sights, sounds and smells.  Lydia took this same trip last year.  But, they didn't get their school field trip request in time, so instead, they brought a tiny petting zoo to the school.  Not quite the same if you ask me, but so it goes.  Before we left for school yesterday morning, I convinced Lanie that she should wear jeans.  This was a monumental decision for her since skirts and leggings are her usual cold weather attire.  I was pleased as punch that she put them on and even wore her pink kikkers.  Never been prouder.

      The past few weeks, as we talk more and more about the Dream House and just new homes in general, Lanie has requested a barn with a horse.  And a whole bunch of kittens.  I reminded her how much responsibility it is to have animals, but it hasn't phased her.  She has a response for everything.  "We'll just clean up the poop, mommy.  It's easy."

        At this petting zoo yesterday, Lanie fell in love with the rabbits.  Long-eared, fluffy rabbits.  And she chased them around the enclosure the way she chases Luna and Radley.  And the rabbits weren't any more friendly to her then they are. But now she's begging for rabbits.  Do I tell her that I had two rabbits when I was a kid.  They were named Elvira and Bobby-Sue (Can you tell we were really big into the Oak Ridge Boys at the time.)  And Kenny also had a rabbit as a kid, named Flopsy.  Both of us recall that the rabbits weren't very nice, they left lots of pellets, the cages were hard to clean, and we didn't spend much time with them after the initial - "Oh, you have a bunny.  That's cute."  
But, Lanie is nothing, if not persistent, so I assume her request won't end especially with bunny season in full swing. And I've found I bend easily when it comes to kids and animals.  So please,  if you have any experience owning a rabbit, share some details, good or bad.  And sooner rather than later because an Easter bunny on Easter is just about enough cute to make me do it.




No comments:

Post a Comment