Saturday, March 3, 2012

Happy Texas Independence Day

     While the rest of Texas celebrated GO TEXAN day last week, our school celebrated today, the day Texas won their independence from Mexico.  And here's a little trivia I heard on the car this morning: Texas was its own independent state for 10 years before joining the Union.  Ten years, that's a long time.  It makes sense why dyed-in-the-wool Texans are so proud. (and they are, I know many of them). 
     While Elijah got decked out in his cowboy hat and kickers, Lydia had to wear her "spirit shirt and comfortable shoes" on her class field trip to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo where she got to see calves newly born, chicks hatch, and pigs race. It was fun to spend time with her and she certainly liked clinging to me.  I was amazed by her ability to enjoy just about anyone as she bounced between sets of friends. When I asked her teacher who she "played" with at school, she said that Lydia plays with everyone, from the boys, to the different girl groups.  I love that about her and pray her sensitive, friendly nature will continue as the "girl" years get harder and the friendships get more dicey.  For now, I'll take this sweet, little Texan girl who hated that she couldn't wear her pink boots today.

1 comment:

  1. We were sorely disappointed that we couldn't wear our new boots and skirt and shirt and hat that day. I'm also happy you could be there. I felt bad that I couldn't go.

    ReplyDelete