Wednesday, October 24, 2012

She Who is Finally Named




          I introduced this white kitten in a post two 1/2 weeks ago and have yet to follow up on her name.  It took us SO long.  But, finally, after a few days calling her Sugar, and then a few days calling her Sassy, we finally agreed (at least mostly) on LUNA.  I'm a lover of "L's" - Lijah, Lydia, Lanie ( we don't pronounce the E's too much in kid 1 and 3) so for me, it fit perfectly and it doesn't hurt that she is as white as a moon when curled up in a ball.  Honoring Harry Potter with a Luna Lovegood reference isn't too bad either.  So Luna, it is. Or Luna Lou. Or Crazy Luna.
         
          Lanie still doesn't quite understand that Luna made the final cut.  Each day she notices a new characteristic in her, she comes up with a different name.  "Let's call her Growly?" And she has a good point. This kitten growls throughout her meal, wild animal-like.  We have this backstory that she was dumped in a field and made to fight Tigers and Bears for her food and that's why every single person who comes in contact with her bowl gets a good talkin' to. 

        There's such a stark difference watching our gentle, 15-year-old Boo Radley eat.  Actually, watching the two of them side-by-side is one of my favorite things to do these days.  (No comment on the excitement of my days.) It's a nice parallel. Young vs Old. White vs Gray.  Ornery vs Tired.  Long hair vs Short hair.  Skittish vs Confident.  
     
         I get so caught up in comparing them, that I can even start plugging myself into a category. 
Old (and older in 5 days).
Gray (would like to color even though Kenny says, "let it go.").
Tired (must make self sleep before midnight).
Long Hair (can't wait to cut it off).
Confident or Skittish?  Depends on the day.  Depends on the time.

   
 So there you have it.  I take a nice entry about my cats and turn it into one about me.  Must be a confident kind of day. 






 


No comments:

Post a Comment