Thursday, February 14, 2013

Roll Out the Barrel - a restaurant review





     While my parents were here, we did A LOT of stuff.   It started on Friday when we watched Elijah's 3rd grade class give chapel and he read the Blessing at the end.  We cheered at 3 basketball games, toured our dream house which I had to sadly admit to the realtor that this just wasn't our time, went to church and watched a community theatre production of A Little Princess which at intermission Lydia admitted she didn't know what was going on.  And it ended on Monday after a day of Valentine shopping for the kids.  All this going and coming left little time to eat at home so what do you do when you've got family in town?  You go out to eat.  

      When my mom and dad come to town, we stick to a few basic restaurants - mostly Tex Mex.  If you knew my dad, Tex, you would understand that he's not a fan of "trying new things" but loves the comfort of knowing what to expect.  And I respect that seeing that I am a bit seeped in tradition myself.  But this visit, we wanted to take them to King's Biergarten, touted as #1 German Restaurant in the nation where it's "Octoberfest all year round!" If you live nearby - are a Pearlander, a Friendswoodite, or a Houstonian - make some time to visit and go on the weekend and sit outside (and if it's cold, there are heaters.)  I've never been to Germany but with a dad who is 100%, who loves beer, the polka, and who met my mom while in Germany (funny thing, they were both from Texas), King's Biergarten seemed like the perfect place to go that wasn't Tex Mex but wouldn't be too out of the box.  And it didn't disappoint.  While we ate our bratwurst and strudel, we sung out to Roll Out the Barrel and introduced the kids to "Zicke, zacke, zicke, zacke, hoi, hoi, hoi" a toast all good beer and root beer drinkers alike need to know.  
    If you've never been - make an effort to go and embrace this place that in its small 3000 feet of space combine my dad's Favorite Things - no, not raindrops on roses or Edelweiss, but good German food, drink and music with a Texas flair.  I've said it in other posts (also about German restaurants) and I'll say it again:  It is sehr gut mein freund. 
German for:  Very good, my friend. 



A little boisterous with the "hoi hoi hoi's"







No comments:

Post a Comment