Friday, February 15, 2013

Fingerprint Frustration, New Job & Change



 
     I've been rejected by the FBI.  My fingerprints, that is. I received an email from the Texas Education     Agency that I would have to give it another go.  So, I did.  Now I'm waiting for any good results.  Isn't it crazy that your fingerprints can be rejected?  The fingerprint lady (I don't know what to call her officially) but she told me that it's common in women, as they age (thanks!).   We often lose our fingerprints due to Clorox cleaners, exfoliation, hand sanitizers, etc.  Who knew?  And to think I believed it beneficial to keep things clean.
      I went home and googled "lost fingerprints and women" and was sent to sites about things that happen to the elderly (that's nice) and it's common with basket weavers and lumberjacks and seamstresses.  An Agatha Christie novel about  a basket-making murderer would be quite harrowing. (I won't take credit for the idea, read it on my fingerprint site.)
     And if you're wondering why I was getting my fingerprints, it wasn't just for fun.  Here's my chance to share that I finally got a job. Yea, me!  It doesn't start until March but if all goes as planned, and right now, that plan may be changing, but if my second set of digital prints actually show the needed ridges, then I will now be the librarian at Jackson Intermediate, a 7th and 8th grade school with 90% students on free or reduced lunch. What a difference from teaching at Lutheran South Academy.
     I  will only be a long-term substitute because the principal was generous enough to let me work MWF so I can stay home with Lanie on Tuesday and Thursday.  When I went in for the interview, I thought it was for next school year but they needed someone that day, full-time.  I wrestled with what to do, for many days, going to trusted friends with their advice and praying with them.  God seemed to open more and more windows especially when I got the green light that they would hire me part-time for now.
     Our Normal will have to change.  The mornings will be different on MWF, more work for Kenny, although he already does the gist of it, waking kids up and getting breakfast.  He'll have to also learn how to make a pony-tail, and braid and tie the right color ribbon in the girls' hair.   Certainly we'll work it out and a new Normal will become common.  I have been praying that my love of working in a library surpasses any difficulties we may have with the home adjustments.  Will you pray that for me too?  And even though I love to change the furniture in my house around all the time, I'm not as great at the big changes.  I love this quote that I used to have tacked in my college dorm room close to my own hole-y, Linus-like blanket.


It’s not so much that we’re afraid of change or so in love with the old ways, but it’s that place in between that we fear. It’s like being between trapezes. It’s Linus when his blanket is in the dryer. There’s nothing to hold on to.  -- Marilyn Ferguson  

         Of course, if my fingerprints never show, and they have to do a manual back-ground check that can take up to 5 months,  I won't have to worry about any of this change.  But, I have this gut feeling God's calling me to it, fingerprints or not.  



   

No comments:

Post a Comment