Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Our Memorial Weekend

   Memorial Day Fun Fact:  Memorial Day was originally observed to honor the Union soldiers who died during the Civil War.  It did not expand to all fallen soldiers until after World War I and did not become a federal holiday until 1967.  Thanks to About.Com (didn't go far in my researching), I at least know more about what we are celebrating besides the first day the neighborhood pool opens.  In our house, it's the first official holiday before our first, true day of summer.  First day for parochial school goers, but not for the public schools around us who have a good 3 or 4 more days until the "no more teachers, no more books . . . " chant.  We're feeling a bit special and free of crowds for the next few days.  But, it all comes back to bite us in August when we start 3 days early. Argh.
   I am so happy to say that our weekend was very, very relaxed.  Slept late, lots of independent kid play, and me getting so much done.  Oh, and we swam, a lot - each day of the weekend, a different pool.   At this rate, they'll be sick of water by July.   I hope not, because that's pretty much our summer go-to plan.  And as per tradition, we also spent our Memorial Day celebrating with the Hergenraders.  I love our trips to their house.  The kids are totally happy and we get to enjoy them and their great outdoors. 
   I can't settle on just one pic of the weekend so, I'll paste the highlights.  See if you can guess the theme.

Hope your Memorial Day was happy and as water-logged as ours.












1 comment:

  1. Who's the blonde one-year-old and why does his mom give him so much ice cream?

    ReplyDelete