Monday, May 14, 2012

Colorful Day!




"Don't miss all the beautiful colors of the rainbow, looking for that pot of gold."

When Lydia finally decided she wanted a COLORS, all kinds of COLORS birthday party, instead of a princess, barbie, strawberry shortcake, rock star, horse, spa, build-a-bear or jumpy birthday, it opened all kinds of doors for me, who enjoys, more than I should, thematic parties.  How easy it was to find all things colorful, and so bright and cheery - from crayola colors, to polka-dotted table cloths, to rainbow popcorn, to swirled cupcakes.  I have Chica and Joe's website to thank for teaching me how to make them, and so, so easy. If you are a regular attender at any Ward get-together, be prepared for them often. 


If you're wondering why Lydia's hair is up in a bun and plastered to her head, it's because we Wards like to punish ourselves with over-activity.  We timed Lydia's birthday party at Michael's Arts and Crafts store with just one hour in between to prepare for the big, first dance recital.  I won't give away tomorrow's post, but let's just say - I"m guessing no one else has ever put a tight dance costume and heavy make-up on a 3 and 6 year-old in a Michael's bathroom.  Always a first. 

Not to get too far ahead of myself, the birthday party went just as planned. The weeks leading up to it were a bit dicey since we invited far more girls to the party than the little room could hold, but God is good, and while I wasn't without stress, we had more than enough chairs.  And Lydia got to paint, decorate and fill her treasure boxes with all things colorful.  She got to eat her chicken nuggets, Sun Chips, and colorful sherbet ice-cream as she wished. And most importantly, she got to spend all that time with some of her favorite people giggling, and squealing.  I even watched from the corner of my eye, Lydia and several other girls trying to re-inact scenes from the movie ELF.  Something about eating spaghetti. Not sure about that one, but I loved getting to watch her totally in her element. 

When the evening that would never end, finally did end, and we were talking about our day, Lydia told me:  "That was the best party ever!"  I suppose when you have a 6-year-old, those may be the closest words to THANKS MOM that I could hear. And it was worth every last crayola color.
 --------------------------------------------------------

A few other favorite "color" quotes:


* "Orange is the happiest color."
* "Blushing is the color of virtue."
* "Beauty seen is never lost, God's colors are all fast."
* "Life is like a rainbow, you need the sun and the rain to make its colors appear."
* "Colors are the smiles of nature."
* "It ain't easy being green."











  

     

No comments:

Post a Comment