Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Last Lanie Day





  Because tomorrow and the next are Field Day and Last Day of School Activities, today - Wednesday is my last Lanie day before the troops are home each and every summer day.  I've enjoyed my days with her, mostly.  Despite her ongoing bladder issues that seem to multiply when just hanging out at home, we enjoy taking things a little slower.  We go places, but rush less.  Sometimes we make it to all the errands I had planned, often we don't.  Today was one of those "don't" days.  We thought we'd go to the gym, but we didn't.  Then we thought we'd go to the splash park, but we didn't.  We ended up on our floor with TROUBLE and Wack-a-Mole and Princess puzzles and all the while, me on the side putting teacher gifts together and texting back and forth with people making later plans.  And I knew the whole time, on this "last" day with just her and me, that trying to divide my attention between what I needed to get done, and just being present with her was wrong. 
    So, we got out.  We dusted off the stroller that never gets used, went for a long walk, found a blue speckled bird egg on the way, then stopped at the park. She ran and danced and sang, and I told her a story about a little girl who was growing up, about to turn 4.
    It was nice.  Just her - just me. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment