Friday, April 6, 2012

Pottery, Friends, and Memories

    One summer day in 2009, my friend and I thought it was a fantastic idea to take our 6 kids to paint pottery.  We had a 5 1/2 year-old, an almost 5 year-old, a just turned 3 year-old, two just turned 2 year-olds, and a 10 month old.  Looking at it now, I don't know why we thought it would be an enriching experience, because it was an absolutely crazy idea.  We still laugh about that terrible decision-making day.  There's just something about little bodies who can hardly walk straight without falling down or into something and then taking them into an enclosed area full of breakable pottery.  Pottery in the shape of dogs and cats and cars and unicorns that OF COURSE they want to touch.   Not to mention lots of paint, and small attention spans.  But we had a job to do - a Father's Day gift to make, and we powered through.
   The reason I bring that day up is because it is the reason I have yet to take my kids back.  But, I succumbed and today, on this beautiful Good Friday and day off of school, we met Lydia and Lanie's dear little friend Ella for her 4th birthday at the Painted Potter.  I have to tell you - it was a very enjoyable experience.  I even got to paint my own Easter Egg.  Sure, they finished quickly and Lanie mixed all her colors together, but there were no break downs, and more importantly no broken pottery.  We finished up with Ella's birthday cookie, some messy hands, good memories and giggly girls.
  I am so glad that I had the earlier experience, along with so many other random places we tried taking our kids, all in the name of adventure. (Some day I'll share the metro-rail to downtown with 4 kids and two stroller story.)  Because now that the kids are older, and yes, I think my almost 4-year-old is growing older too fast, I am happy to tell them, we did that, or we've been there, or "don't you remember?"  Which of course they don't.  There are so many unique experiences to be had in Houston, we just need more time on our hands, and of course that adventurous spirit.
Happy Birthday Ella!

No comments:

Post a Comment