Sunday, February 26, 2012

Growing Up! (The Lutheran Hour)

Growing up!
      We had the privilege of having Reverend Greg Seltz at our church today.  He is the new Lutheran Hour speaker and he gave both the sermon during church and did Bible study and I've got to tell you, I could have listened to him all day.  He was wonderful.  He said something that resonated with me and I just had to write it down before I forgot.  His message was titled, "Man, That's Living" and he focused on just what is living, and if you were wondering, it's not accumulating things or merely enjoying what the world brings us.  Instead, it's growing up. 
       If that sounds odd, he used a metaphor that sat well with me. As a mom of three young children, I have the pleasure of guessing what their lives will bring, what they will grow up "to be."  I asked each of them what they want to be when they grow up.
 
      Lydia: "I want to be an artist." 
      Mom:  "You'd be such a good teacher." (a girl after my own heart)
      Lydia:  "I want to be an art teacher. I'm a really good artist, mom."
     
      Lanie:  "I want to be a flower grower." 
      Mom: "What Lanie? Do you mean, a gardener?"
      Lanie: "What's a gardener?"

      Elijah:  "I want to work at Dairy Queen. I'll get free ice cream."
      Dad:  "That's more of a job you work while you are in school. Don't you want to go to school?"
      Elijah:  "Nope."

Don't tell me my children don't have lofty aspirations.  But more than what they'll do for their livelihood, I wonder how their faith will grow them up and what kind of men and women of God that they will be.   I am excited to see that. 
      Now, Imagine how much MORE thrilled it must be for the creator of the universe, the creator of each one of us, who knows every hair on our head, to watch us grow UP in Him.  How he must smile when we inch closer to being the men and women he created us to be.  Humbling, no doubt.  Especially on the days when I feel broken, flawed, and completely missed the boat on sharing the gospel message with people who share my fence.  But, ah! we needn't worry (who me, worry?) because while we are the broken jar of clay (more of Rev. Seltz metaphor, not mine) we Live with the treasure of the Savior. And there my friend, is where our purpose lives, where our lives finally begin to make sense. 
      I loved all that Rev. Seltz had to say and sorry if I just repeated his sermon message to you, but it was something I needed to hear, and thought you may too.  If nothing else, now you know which of my kids to give and not to give college funding too. (snicker, snicker)

No comments:

Post a Comment