Saturday, February 18, 2012

All Choked Up

     Maybe I've seen Hoosiers too many times and if you have too and you admit it, the final basket to win the championship game had you in tears.  Or maybe you connect more to Rudy and his final tackle to lead Notre Dame to a win.  Either one, today I saw something that, though a much smaller scale, can compete.  Elijah plays basketball with a Christian organization called UPWARD.  It's a great place for kids to learn a sport, without negativity, and the coaches bring Christ's message each week to the kids.  His team is called "The Nets."  This Saturday was the second to last game of the season and the coaches really want every kid to have made a basket.  This year, one boy, we'll call him jersey #2 had yet to score.
     Our coaches talked with the opposing team's coaches and the refs so everyone was on the same page.  The goal - help #2 succeed.  Somehow, today, the team and the entire audience of parents and grandparents seemed to know that the most important thing to do was to give #2 the ball.  Because #2 isn't aggressive, he's not had many chances to shoot. If you've ever seen a 7 or 8 year-old play basketball, you know how hard it is for them to pass the ball.  And if you're not aggressive, chances are your turn won't come too often.  TEAM is something they are learning; today I was blessed to see it in action.
       I watched these young boys guard the other players so that #2 could have the ball.  I watched them steal the ball from the opposing team, only to pass it #2.   When he tried unsuccessfully to make a couple of shots, you could hear the entire audience groan with fear he wouldn't get a chance again.  Near the end of the game, #2 was passed the ball right under the hoop and everyone yelled - "shoot the ball" and when he did, and it swished, the eruption of the gym broke me.  I was clapping. I was cheering.  I was loving this moment.  I looked at #2's parents who all season had wanted nothing but a good experience for their boy, for him to fit in, to feel successful,  and to have fun.  They were wild with joy, beaming really with relief.  I was proud of everyone today: the players on both teams, the coaches, the refs, and the parents who so dearly want each child to have their moment.  Yep, I'll admit it, Jimmy Chitwood has nothing on #2 and the Nets.

3 comments:

  1. Great story. That team must have absolutely wonderful coaches...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool!! Has his last game already happened? I'd love to come watch!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your fantastic story has me in tears. LOVE it!!! xo

    ReplyDelete