Saturday, October 31, 2009

Thing #15 - Web 2.0, Library 2.0 and the future of libraries


After watching the video, my first response - chilling. I realize that the students are trying to make a point about where they spend their time and how education doesn't meet their needs today, but since I am of an older model, I was also frustrated with the laziness of not reading their text book, not coming to class, etc. I recognize that educators must be a part of the changing social networked world, but aren't college students still responsible for doing their part?
I was very interested in the articles and read them all. What seemed to be an overall opinion was that we need to create a user-centric service. I really liked Michael Stephens phraseology "The Library is human" and Wendy Schulz' saying about libraries: "They are conversations." And I guess that's where I stand in the discussion. I love what I am learning in 2.0 tools and see how they can benefit school libraries. But I feel it is important not to get overwhelmed by the fear that we're doing everything wrong (like the video seems to point out), as if students are unable to learn using a white board. I want to think that when I do become a librarian I will work to make the physical and virtual library "human" and a "conversation" where learning freely takes place and to give credit to the video - where I check myself and the educators around me to make sure we are doing all we can to meet the students where they are.

Picture by Lavern Kelley http://www.flickr.com/photos/nostri-imago/2872099576/

I bounced around David Warlick's blog and found this essay - it's good.
David Warlick's article

No comments:

Post a Comment