Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Thing #9: LIbrary-related blogs and RSS News Feeds

I will be honest, I struggled getting through all of this information. I am overwhelmed with the many, many ways to get information. I'd much prefer a top 3 - no more. I'm actually still trying to figure out how to get my RSS feeds to go directly to my Google Reader if I'm not already in Google Reader - if anyone knows, please help me.
Which takes me to the useful feeds. I did really enjoy going through some Edublogs Award Winners. I got stuck on Blue Skunk Blog and wanted to add it but it ended up in a favorites section on my Internet Explorer. I think that I get stuck when I'm told to search for blogs because I'm never sure what I want to find. I think that my simplicity craves a way for the blog searches to find the best blog that meets my demands instead of included feeds of all kinds that simply have the topic in its tags.
I promise not to keep complaining because I really enjoy learning about these avenues of information, but everything takes time. I think the easiest search tool for me was Technorati - I liked the format, the color and the way you could search the blogosphere quite easily. If you wanted news, entertainment or wanted to know the top 100 of anything, it was all here. I least liked Syndic8 - it was lines and lines of information, little graphic and I don't feel it pertained to what I was looking for. THe most random thing I found was on Topix where you can add your own news. Amazing. You can add, edit and post an original story, add a story you found on the web, or turn a comment into a story. I liked Topix and the way you could change the front page information to your city and everything you ever wanted to know was there. Very cool.

1 comment:

  1. I understand your frustration. There is so much out there. Thank goodness there are Librarians to help us sort through it all. Oh yea, that is what we are trying to learn--how to sort through it all. :-)

    Most people agree with you and do not like Syndic8. I find people are about 50/50 on Technorati.

    Hang in there and you will figure out how to make your Google reader sing to you.

    ReplyDelete