Friday, January 18, 2013

U - P - W - A - R - D

 

    It's UPWARD season here and I can't believe we're already back around to it.  It seems just a few days ago I was writing about last season's here and here.  And since we're back around to marathons and basketball, that means it has also been a year since I resurrected this blog and started writing about our Ward party of 5 and other random things.  So an anniversary for me. Yea.

      After some pretty lazy time off, we are in the swing of things and devoting our Saturdays to watching kids run up and down a court.  We've also made a few changes.  If you read that first link, you'll see that Lydia was getting her feet wet playing bball with her brother in the driveway.  She liked it enough that with a little encouragement, she went out for basketball this year instead of cheer, which pleased her dad (and me too).  And Lanie, she joined the mix too - she took up her sister's spot to be the littlest cheerleader (with her friend Ella an inch taller), and youngest, and most easily distracted on her squad.  And since Kenny is coaching both Elijah and Lydia's team, it only made sense that I'd round out the Ward involvement by helping coach Lanie's squad.

      Working with these 4 and 5-year-olds has been eye-opening.  I'm pretty sure my strength is not preschool or Kindergarten.  They're cute, yeah, but so fidgeting and need more water breaks than is necessary for even the most athletic competitor.  But, watching my littlest scream (not yell from the diaphragm as cheerleaders are supposed to) but ear-splitting screech into her megaphone and repeat Big G, Little O, GO GO over and over again is enough to melt any grinchy heart.  Not to mention, it gives me a great reason to pull out those old, old VHS cheer tapes.  I haven't yet, but it's bound to happen.

     Elijah has moved into a new basketball bracket.  He's mixed with the 4th graders and the game has taken on such a different feel.  It's so much quicker, and more aggressive with picks and blocks and terms I don't really recall from my one embarrassing 6th grade year playing basketball.  And most important to Elijah, they finally take score - officially with score cards - and not just in the heads of the players (& coaches too).



    When Lydia decided to play, I knew it was a gamble.  Luckily, it has paid off.   She likes the girls on her team who are just as silly as she is and she's learning to be a bit, just a bit, more aggressive.  I asked her the other night if she liked cheerleading or basketball better and she said the latter.  When I pressed her for why, she told me it's because the cheerleaders have to wear turtlenecks and they probably get hot whereas the basketball players get to wear short sleeves are more comfortable. Now, I'm hoping the reasons go beyond the fashion of the game, really I do.  To be honest, I think Lydia just really likes being in a sport with her dad.



No comments:

Post a Comment