Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Can't Complain



Today ALL THE KIDS are in school.  Ah.  After so much time with the kids home, it's a bit strange to have some quiet space to work in.  Lanie will be home tomorrow and Friday due to all her teachers going to a conference so I'm taking advantage of this one day to do more job searching.   I'm sitting at my desk listening to the rain that will never end.  The house is dark and ominous save for my one big desk light.  I have sent one "I'm interested" email, emailed one resume, took a very random English/Math assessment test for a fellowship position, and got one call for an interview.  It all seems so surreal.  I can't say that any of the positions that I have been applying for, scream ME but to be honest, I'm not so sure I know what job would be ME anyway.  It's been too long. I haven't been to work on a daily basis in 6 years.  How did 6 years go so fast?  And why did these 6 years seem so much like work?  I think some lie went around back in 2006 when I made this monumental decision to quit teaching, and maybe I believed it, that stay-at-home mom's have it easy.  Something about soap operas and bon bons.
    Granted, I have been able to hang out in my pjs a lot more than your regular Sally along with a long line of pluses that involve watching my kids grow up and me getting teary about it and writing long blog posts to commemorate it.  I can't complain.  So forgive me if I do complain -- but this going back to work thing is a lot harder than I thought it would be.  I keep meeting people who have stumbled into these fabulous jobs all because someone thought of them as talented.  Oh, the Lord knows there's something I'm good at, I'm just waiting to stumble into it.  
   In the meantime, I'll keep researching, and inquiring, and send, send, sending.  And when that gets boring, I'll go back to what is really fun -- writing about those kids that let me hang out in my pjs and (to connect the picture) who admire their mom so much (fancy job or not) that they want to dress up like her especially when she the look is so librarian-ish.  Imitation is definitely the strongest form of flattery. 



No comments:

Post a Comment