Friday, January 25, 2013

Kisses from Katie - a short book review



I had a list of very interesting topics to write about but I'm in a time crunch today.  I'm not a fast blogger, taking a good hour to create just a few witty, or not so witty, paragraphs, so instead I'll give you a quick glimpse into the book I'm reading right now.  If you are looking for nonfiction, and you want to read about someone young and amazing who completely re-defines what it means to serve the Lord, check out Kisses from Katie by Katie Davis, about an 18-year-old whose mission trip to Uganda turned into a life dedicated to serving the children there, adopting six girls (so far - I'm not done with the book yet).  Her words are so powerful that every night after I read a passage, I highlight it, and then I make Kenny read it too always with the same refrain, "We have to do more!"

If you feel that way - like the work God has planned for you hasn't quite met fruition, then read about Katie.

Here are way too many passages that I've highlighted.  I just love them all.  Hope they put a fire under your feet the way they do mine.
 
Have a beautiful weekend in our gorgeous Texas weather.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am much more terrified of living a comfortable life in a self-serving society and failing to follow Jesus than I am of any illness or tragedy.  Jesus called His followers to be a lot of things, but I have yet to find where He warned them to be safe.  We are not called to be safe, we are simply promised that when we are in danger, God is right there with us.  And there is no better place to be than in His hands."

"I had fantasized about doing something incredible for God and others; what I have learned is that I can do nothing incredible, but as I follow God into impossible situations, He can work miracles in and through me."

"I can enter into someone's pain and sit with them and Know.  This is Jesus.  Not that He apologizes for the hard and the hurt, but that He enters in, He comes with us to the hard places.  And so I continue to enter."

"Disease is certainly not a sin.  And poverty is not a sin; it is a condition, a circumstance that allows God's work to be displayed."

"Helping the poor is not something God asks His people to do; it is something that, throughout all generations, He instructs us to do."

"I strive to teach my children and all children in our program and in our villages 'the truth' of Christ.  I know I cannot walk into a village and tell a child that Jesus loves her.  She cannot comprehend that because, chances are, she has never been loved.  I have to feed her, clothe her, care for her, and love her unconditionally as I tell her that I love.  Once she can understand and see my love, I can begin to tell her about a Savior who loves her even more.  That is the truth for these children - that they are loved, that they are valuable, that they will not be left as orphans but that they have a plan and a hope for a future.  What a beautiful truth."

"I was in the center of God's will; I was doing what I was created to do."


No comments:

Post a Comment