Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The Monster Dash


ON YOUR MARK . . .

GET SET . . .

GO!!

 It was a cold, cold morning in Pearland, Texas when all 5 Wards set out with the sun barely out, dressed in winter hats, gloves, and coats ready to race.  The 3rd annual Monster Dash was this Saturday and even though I haven't run a 5k in over two years (actually the last time was the 1st Monster Dash), I wanted to run it with Elijah as he experienced his first 5k. 

Before our start time, the girls ran the 1K kids run.  You've never seen a prouder dad then Kenny when Lydia came in as the fastest girl in her group winning a Dracula monkey.  He's already planning her cross country career.  Lanie ran her heart out as well as she ran next to her little friend, Ella.  She wore her participatory medal the rest of the day and the next.

When it was turn for our race, we all lined up waiting till the last minute to take off our coats.  When the whistle blew, Kenny took off, the only one who was really racing for a reason.  Me and Elijah started slow.  Because I haven't run in a long time, I had planned on a little jogging, a little walking.  But Elijah kept me moving.  After a few minutes, he went ahead of me, looking back every few seconds like a worried parent.  I finally shoo'ed him ahead without me. And he did.  I watched his little blond head bob in and out of runners.  It really motivated me to run harder, even though every step hurt a little more.  I expected him to speed race and then walk, speed race and then walk, but he didn't.  Instead, slow and steady, he got farther and farther away from me.  I didn't see him again until the finish line.
 
Me and E - exhausted
 I am not a runner.  Let me repeat, I am not a runner.  I always thought I would be.  In fact, about 13 years ago, I started training for the Houston marathon.  I woke up at crazy hours, ran in the rain, made long runs on Saturdays, but finally realized it wasn't for me.  But even though running isn't my passion, I've had a few of those moments - those God moments where it literally feels like it's just me and God in the heavens and we're having a little chat over a good run.   That's what this past Saturday felt like.  It was cool, brisk, and non-sweaty thanks to the chill, and the sky was this gorgeous blue.  It was all God that got me and my burning legs,  and tired feet up the hill and to the finish line where our friends, the girls, Kenny (who finished 12 minutes earlier coming in 3rd with hardly an ache) and Elijah (who finished 2 minutes before me) were waiting to cheer all the runners on.   

While I would have preferred sleeping in, I can't complain that everyone in our family had exercised, had a free after-race breakfast, girls jumped in the jumpy, we jammed in the cold to some DJ music, Kenny and our friend Tomika both won door prizes (month-long gym memberships that neither will use), and we took lots of pictures all before 9am.  Not too shabby for a run-of-the-mill Saturday morning. 












No comments:

Post a Comment