Thursday, October 4, 2012

Kiss the Wheels Goodbye



This week Lydia watched a girl her age wind in and out of driveways and sidewalks on her bike without the extra two wheels, and ever since, she has been determined to do it too.  So tonight, one of our wonderful, free evenings we packed up a healthy Lunchable dinner for the kids and Schlotsky's for us and drove to one of my favorite parks in Pearland.

I did not play a big role in helping Elijah wean off the wheels so I was happy to give this job to Kenny - I figured his legs and back could handle it better than me.  And he totally stepped up to the challenge and ran alongside Lydia, encouraging her all the way.  Elijah zoomed ahead turning to check up on everyone now and again, and Lanie peddled just as fast her legs could take her to keep up.

I walked/jogged behind to take it all in.  I'll admit there was a bit of sadness in it for me.  Elijah - so totally independent, Lydia on his heels trying to balance yet fearful her dad would let go, and Lanie so determined to keep up.  She kept looking back at me and saying, "Aren't I doing so good mom?  Watch how fast I am." I didn't even have to hold on to her bike anymore.  So I brought up the rear, photographing this family of mine that keeps changing, and growing, and learning how to do more things without me.   

                                                             
Until finally in the 3rd lap around the park, Lydia was balancing for herself.  By this time, Lanie and I had called it quits and were playing at the jungle gym when I heard, "Jen, Jen!"  Forget my wistful thoughts, I grabbed my trusty phone with its 13% battery and ran like mad to keep up, video-taping till I ran out of room.  I was so excited for her, overwhelmed really.  And I loved the  gigantic hug I got at the end.

Taking a bike break







Lydia was such a good student.    
she didn't get frustrated.  She didn't get     discouraged.  She laughed the whole way.  Totally an A+ kid.  Even better, she wanted to keep going when it got dark.
But after seeing how sweaty and tired her poor dad was, it was definitely time to call it a night.  But it's now official - We can kiss those training wheels goodbye, at least with kid #2.  

I'm glad we still have one more to go.  











No comments:

Post a Comment