Monday, June 18, 2012

The surgery

   So I picked up Kenny at the hospital today after his hand surgery.  It went well -  He was only a little glassy-eyed, but looked fine, or as fine as anyone can look on vicodin and in a hospital gown.  One of the nurses offered him a drink, more specifically, a cola, and even more specifically, a diet Shasta cola.  I don't know why, but we got the biggest kick out of that.  He spends a pretty penny with this surgery at St. Luke's and Shasta is the choice beverage provider.   Instead of coming out of a surgery, K said he felt like he was coming out of a 4th grade soccer game.  But of course it would be Orange Shasta and not the more grown-up Diet Shasta.  How unfair. It was my favorite part of the surgery story, if there is such a thing as a favorite part of a surgery story.
     He is left with a pretty bulky hand that creates a much bigger hindrance than his ER foam finger so typing should be interesting since that's a big part of what he does all day.  I told him I could be his secretary for the week or until the cast is off, but I think he agrees working from home with his entire family a few feet away is probably enough close quarters for him.
   But champ that he is, Kenny seems to have made it through day 1, drowsy at times, but totally not playing up the injured man.  He took out the trash, scooped kitty litter, and even folded clothes with a gimp hand. Hmm, I'm not coming out of this story looking too helpful, am I? Well, I did fold the socks - that's something you can't do one-handed.  Never thought of that before, but really, try it, you just can't.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment