Thursday, June 14, 2012

A hi-jacked post

    We have only 1 more day of VBS and I'm just now getting a picture of me and the kids in our blue SKY t-shirts - a little fuzzy too, but just getting them to stand still with their mom for a few seconds was a major accomplishment.
    Look at how tired my eyes are.  We ended up staying up till about 1am last night watching a special on the 1992 Barcelona Olympic Basketball Dream Team.  And while I don't remember watching basketball during that summer of '92 when I left Oklahoma and moved to Nebraska for college, I do remember going to McDonalds a lot and getting the Dream Team cups.  Do you remember those?  They had Jordan, Barclay, Magic, Bird, Pippen and several others on their extra large drinks.  I haven't thought of those cups in 20 years, but when I did, I was taken back to the many trips we made to the outskirts of our small town of Seward to even find a McDonald's.  That's where you could find the only Walmart as well and the restaurant, The Peppercorn that I worked at for a few years.  Which made me think about the haven't-found-better-anywhere-else homemade chips and salsa and the drinks I got to make bartending, which made me think about how much I wanted a margarita with chips & salsa.
     Now what does the 1992 Dream Team, or my college years have to do with the 2012 VBS at Epiphany Lutheran Church in Pearland, Texas?  Not much, except I love any example of a random train of thought.  When I used to teach, I'd give the kids a word.  I've give them a couple of minutes to do some word associations and after a short amount of time, see what each person came up with.  For example -

Cat - Boo Radley(my cat's name) - To Kill a Mockingbird - Scout - Girl scouts - Brownies - chocolate - Reeses - peanut butter. 

Fun, isn't it?  And while I end up with peanut butter, the kid next to me ends up with Hawaii.  And somewhere in those thoughtful word trains, you can often find a topic to write about.

But this post wasn't supposed to be about lists of words, but since I've hi-jacked with a writing lesson, I'll try to get back to my point via word association.

Vacation Bible School - Jesus - love - kids - teaching - busy - tired - feet - rest - relax - margarita - chips - salsa - yum.





No comments:

Post a Comment