Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Swimming on Easy Street



On Your Mark 
Get Set

JUMP!














                                                                                                         

       

       First day of swimming pool excitement and Lanie has already jumped ahead, and I mean literally jumped, off the board.  We weren't prepared for it.  Usually it's the end of the season when she finally gets up her nerve.  It must have been those two weeks of swim lessons that brought on the confidence because on our inaugural neighborhood pool visit, right away, she asked to jump.  No floaties.  No one to catch her.  No help.  The big lifeguard rule that we have tried to sneak around the past nine summers is that the CHILD MUST BE ABLE TO JUMP OFF AND SWIM TO THE SIDE ALONE.
       Jumping was never the hard part.  All 3 of my children have always been quite fearless in the water, but it's the swimming to the ladder without help.  I have a video when Elijah finally did it, and then a few of Lydia, and now, Lanie has joined the ranks.
      I feel like we have stepped over to Easy Street.  Gone are the days of watching steps, for fear a child will swim off into the deep end.  Gone are the days of must-have floaties, although we will probably still keep them around.  Gone are the days of "put your hands up and catch me" moments as kids jump from the side of the pool.
        It's a different world now.  Everyone is older, taller and (sniff sniff), I'm not as needed.
Well, I shouldn't say that.  I'm not as needed to keep my life-guard eye on the pool in case of accidental drownings, but I am totally needed to "watch this, mom" and "count how long I hold my breath, mom," and "look at my somersault, mom," and "mom, let's race to see who can get to the side faster."
       And I guess, as far as my kids are concerned, that's just as important.







No comments:

Post a Comment