Friday, June 28, 2013

And Clayton makes 4






For the first time, ever, we've had my nephew stay with us all week.  The most he's ever been down in Texas is maybe 2 or 3 days.  When the plan was made, I got to creating a list of "FUN" things we could do to show him Houston.  Clayton is my sister's oldest child - he's 14-years-old.  In maturity, that's ages older than Elijah and a decade compared to my 4-year-old.

Before we met in Grapevine where he came home with us, Elijah became nervous.  One night he asked me, "What does Clayton like?  What if he doesn't like it here? What will we do?"  I think my concerns were becoming his concerns.  How do you entertain a 14-year-old, a real teenager?  Would he like the games we play? Would he watch the shows we watch? Would he make do with the rules we have?  Would he sulk in his room playing video games the whole time ignoring my hyper kids who would inevitably show off for him in an endearing, yet annoying fashion?

For as much as I worried, I really didn't need to.  Clayton's laid back, easy-going, and does what we do.  He hasn't eaten us out of house and home, he's not off texting about how bored he is to his friends back home, and thankfully, he's not rolling his eyes at my immature kids, though he does like to call Elijah "a little random."

We've done everything, EVERYTHING this week and to be honest, I"m so tired.  But we've kept Clayton so busy and trying new things that he hasn't had time to miss his regular life, which from what he says involves a lot of sitting at home, video games, football camp and chores.  Compared to that, Chuck E. Cheese, the movies, the beach, an Astro's game, a trampoline park, and watching bats emerge from a bridge, we have given him something to write home about.

Truly, Clay has been a gift to us.  While we were at the beach the other day, I sat in my beach chair, enjoying the sand in my toes and the sun on my shoulders and wished I'd brought a book.  I wasn't prepared for how well everything paired off.   The boys were busy building a seawall of sand and the girls were playing with their little fish, named Sammy Summer that Clayton happened to catch for them. This moment of bliss didn't last long.  Eventually someone needed a drink or something to eat, or for me to help them with sunscreen.  But it was nice.  I liked my 4 kid family and only wish we could easily add an older brother to the mix so Elijah wasn't always on the outside of girl-time.   Don't get any ideas - there won't be any children from scratch added to our family.  It is what it is.






But Clayton makes a good +1 for Elijah, which makes a summer day that much more enjoyable.
He's invited back, any time.











No comments:

Post a Comment