Wednesday, June 5, 2013

So Many Windows


Just a short work funny.  It's not ha ha funny, but more of a side smirk funny.

This is the last week of school for Pasadena kids so I've been waking up early, trying not to rouse the whole family and leaving them to sleep in while I trek across town to work.  But it's all good.  It's been so hectic and that helps take my mind off the fact that my kids are being dispersed to wonderful friends (thanks Kendra and Mary) so that Kenny can get a little work done each day.

I've been working my tail off in the library trying to work with the discipline counselor to get back hundreds of overdue books.  It's been non-stop traffic and a really, really terrible time to have an emergency drill, let alone four in one day.  But, I don't make the rules so this Monday, we were tested, one after another how well the kids could pull it off.  A quota? Maybe.

Imagine my eye-roll as another alarm dings and another announcement comes over the intercom.  We had fire, tornado, and a couple of lockdown procedures. I don't want anyone to think I am discounting these drills and the necessity of them, especially after what happened to the victims in the Oklahoma schools and the victims in the Houston hotel fire.  I did wonder though how the drill would help with merely 3 days of school left. But who am I ?

What finally set me off with giggles was the perimeter lock-down.  Of course I had to search the office for any information as to what a perimeter lock down is, but it's just that.  You lock down the perimeter of your room - this means all students inside, doors locked and blinds closed.  No big deal.
But did you get a looksy at the picture above?  Do you want to count how many windows are in my room?  Do you know it takes me a good two to three minutes to open all 36 of them in the morning? Which isn't a problem until you're in an emergency situation and you have THIRTY-SIX windows to close in a hurry.  I don't know if I was just tired, or silly, but I laughed so much.
And all it took was a perimeter lock-down.

I'm going to love this job.

My new office with even more windows

No comments:

Post a Comment