Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Candy Cane Conundrum


        I don't mean for this to sound folksy, like I walked two miles in the snow up hill and down to get to school.  But I have to ask -- since when did candy canes become so varied?  When I was a kid, I had one choice -- red-striped peppermint. Do you remember Smarties, Spree, Starburst and Sweetart-flavored canes? I don't.  But I recently stood at the grocery store and pondered the possibilities.  I know that variety is supposed to be the spice of life, but not for me.   This is why big department stores make me nervous. How do I know that I'm looking at everything, that I'm seeing all the clothes and styles that could fit me without wasting hours.  It's not divided into one easy Target-like shopping experience.  I'm the same way with food.  Long menus get my heart racing.  Truly, ask my husband.  I'm always the last to order.  Except with Tex-Mex - Cheese enchilada with rice and beans every time.  No delineation.  Some may call it boring, possibility predictable, but I'll just call it traditional.
So that's why out of all those purple and blue and orange, sweet, tart or long-lasting candy canes, I went old-school.  I chose red and white, purely peppermint.

No comments:

Post a Comment