Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Still good


            In the midst of the birthday celebration, Kenny and I stole away and paid a gargantuan amount of money for dinner & a babysitter on Saturday night (and have decided to beg for parents the next time we go out), and saw Les Mis, again.  A friend of ours made a crack about the play list never changing, and it doesn't, but it's always good and always powerful.  In fact, I heard "Bring Him Home" differently than I ever have before.  If you don't know the music, just skip all this, but if you're musical savvy, I envision a parent of today of a military son or daughter praying this song on a daily basis.  Even though the book takes place hundreds of years ago, the moment was very contemporary and still leaves me in tears.


I had to get a picture of the sign, the free picture because I didn't want to wait in line and pay to get a picture of the Thenardiers.  I tried unsuccessfully to capture them. Notice the turned head and the demon eyes.  But maybe you can still glimpse their gaudiness.  And since I'm making connections about contemporary life, Madame and Monsieur Thenardier and their excessive yet cheap, greedy ways bring home something else parallel in my life.  (Not a perfect parallel, but maybe the point can still be made.) We are in the middle of a Bible study called the Advent Conspiracy, just in time for the the Christmas season.  The whole point is to get people to see what consumerism has done to the Christian focus at Christmas time.  It's not a radical point to make, but one worth going back to as we buy, buy, buy and want, want, want and need, need, need this time of year.  So in an effort to be Un-Thenardier-like and more Christ-like, help hold us accountable to giving more, getting less, sharing our time, teaching the birth of Christ, and loving God's people - all of them.  

Wow - completely surprised by what came out of a short entry on seeing a Broadway play.  I love where writing can take me.






No comments:

Post a Comment