Friday, November 2, 2012

"As You Wish"


It's obvious, right?  You get the quote.  You know the characters.  You know the movie.  You were alive in the 80s, right?  

Surprisingly, there are many 30 somethings who haven't a clue as to who Princess Buttercup and the Man in Black, aka Dread Pirate Roberts, aka Westley is.  Did their parents not approve of hilarious comedy, of satire, of sweetness? 

I don't know, but if you missed out on The Princess Bride, I urge you now to rent it, or netflick it or video stream it and set your mind on 1987 when Fred Savage was every pre-teen's crush, when Billy Crystal was at his prime, and when Andre the Giant was still alive.  

 I don't mean to come across too strongly but after a wonderful attempt for me and Kenny to look the main characters' part for a Halloween party this year, we were sadly mistaken for Zorro and Juliet.  Granted, the costumes we bought were actually called Zorro and Juliet, but we took some strides to make them appear more like Buttercup and Westley.  For a while I blamed it on my brown stringy hair vs. the beautiful blond wavy hair that Robin Wright has in the movie and Kenny blamed it on his lack of a  'stache and ponytail that Cary Elwes has as the leading man.  By the end of the night though, after one person after another told me they'd never seen this top 100 best romantic comedy, I quit blaming the costumes and instead got passionate about persuading my unknowing friends: "Are you Kidding?  You've never seen it? Really?"  Maybe a little too dramatic, but who can deny a movie with a 96% rate on Rotten Tomatoes?
  
To honor this beloved movie, I've gathered some favorite quotes. If you're already a fan, enjoy them.  If you're not, it's because it hasn't crossed your path.  See the movie  -  then you'll understand some major 80's pop culture references and you'll never have to ask, just who is Inigo Montoya and why did someone kill his father? 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"When I was your age, television was called books."

"Since the invention of the kiss there have been five kisses that rated the most passionate, the most pure... this one left them all behind."

 “"Inconceivable." You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”

"Bye bye boys, have fun storming the castle"

 "I do not envy you the headache you will have when you awake, but in the meantime, rest well and dream of large women."

Westley: "Why won't my arms move?"
Fezzik: "You've been mostly dead all day."

"Who ever said life is fair? Where is that written? Life isn't always fair."

“No more rhymes now - I mean it ! Anybody want a peanut.”

"Look what I found -- four white horses, and I figured there are four of us. . . if we ever found the Lady.  Hello, Lady!" 


Buttercup: "You mocked me once, never do it again. I died that day. And you can die too for all I care."
Man in Black: "...As....You.....Wish..."



      

No comments:

Post a Comment