Saturday, November 10, 2012

A Hair-Raising Tale

      
  A naive, yet not young, girl walks into a beauty salon with 12 inches of hair to spare.  Her hairdresser, sweet and energetic, is on cloud nine.  How often does someone come in with absolutely no idea what to do with their hair, post donation, and free reign to do whatever the stylist deems fit, including cutting more hair than originally agreed upon?  Naive girl hoping for a younger haircut that still fits the lifestyle of a mom of 3, cringes throughout hour of cutting, with the exception of an awesome shampoo and scalp massage.  When all is said and done, and the scissors that seem to mow the hair down like a lawn, are done wielding their power, I give my best "I love it" to this kind woman who worked so hard to make my hair shape my face.  I pay my more than $20, but not too much thanks to a birthday gift card from mom (thanks mom), and scramble out the door.  I don't look in the my mirror, not yet, for fear that the receptionist is watching to catch my reaction, instead I drive around the building. I stop and stare at myself, and my strange locks in the dashboard mirror.   Then, I get home, run upstairs and stare at myself some more,  fluffing here and patting down there.  And then, you guessed it, I tried that ponytail.  And though it's itty bitty, it's still possible. And I give praise that it's still possible.  Because a girl at the end of 30, with 3 kids and little patience and time in the morning for personal grooming needs the security of a pony-tail much more than a contemporary do. 

I don't love it, but it's still early. There's time to come around.  Besides, it's just hair, right?

BEFORE
AFTER


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE IT! Shorter looks good on you! What an honor to have hair long enough to cut for those in need. You are brave and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete