Monday, August 6, 2012

GO, DOG. GO


Before reading this entry, go to Tina's.  Notice in it she says she hopes at her son Nate's birthday party that they have a 3-layer cake.  Enter Jen. 

It's a funny story.  Me and K and the kids were at Barnes and Noble shopping for books for Nate's 2nd birthday on Thursday night.  Nate loves Go, Dog. Go so we were picking out every dog book we could find.  I made the mistake of calling Tina to check on a couple and this is our dialogue.  (Not word for word, but generally you'll get the picture.)

Jen:  So, does Nate have the board book Go, Dog. Go or just the bigger version.

Tina:  Those are great ideas but if you really want to give him a gift then you can make a dog cake, like the one on top of the dog party tree.

Jen:  No, really. So he has the board book?

Tina:  Really, I'd love it if you could make the cake.

Jen:  Seriously?  Really? 

And the conversation continues.  I finally realized Tina was serious and because I love her, and I love Nate, And I do love to make cakes that we promptly left Barnes and Noble empty-handed and headed to Kroger for cake mix and frosting, lots and lots of frosting.  You see, I've never made a 2 or 3 or what turned out to be a 4-layer cake.  I called my go-to cake-making friend Sharla and she gave me some great advice that probably saved the day.  In the past all my cakes have mushroomed and by the middle of the party, the cake has erupted in an earthquake.  Not this time.  I learned a few tricks. 

This time the cake only partially fell apart as we drove it from Pearland to Katy in a made-up cake box we created from a crate in the kids' room. We got to the party, Tina gave us big dogs and little dogs to add to the top and there you have the Go, Nate. Go birthday cake.  I can't say that Nate cares one way or another that it was a 4-layer cake, or that there were dogs on top of it, or really if he knows who I am.  He's one of the Hergenrader 4 who hasn't been around us enough.  Give him time.  In a couple of years, when we're on some Hergenrader/Ward adventure trip, I'll bring it up.  I'll let him know his godmother loves him and shows it with sugary love.
See, layers!  Amazing!

The birthday boy!


  



1 comment: