Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Mimi - the saint


    I have got to give all credit to my mom this past week.  She took not just my 3, but all 6 of her grandchildren ages 3, 4, 6, 8, 11 & 13 on several outings by herself. By Herself! They went to Bass Pro Shop to paint bird houses, out to lunch, out for pancakes in their pjs, to get ice cream, to a museum, to a restaurant, and to Walmart.   I should have gone along to help, especially with the two littlest,  but every seat belt in her van was filled.  There was no room for me. And I was more than glad to spend some quiet time at their house while Kenny worked.

     
    Six kids aren't easy to wrangle and she did it without complaint.  Me, I would have expected an award.  But it's so uncommon to have all 6 together so I think she kind of relished in it.  What made it all worthwhile is all 6 grandchildren, despite some age differences, get along fantastically.  Somehow, Elijah's 5-year difference from his 13-year-old cousin Clayton and Lydia's 5-year difference from her 11-year-old cousin Cayleigh meant little.  Now, my sister and I were 5 years apart and you would have never seen us as conspiring as they were.  And the two littlest, Lanie and Taylor, merely months apart, even found themselves playing side-by-side. Maybe seeing each other only once or twice a year has its advantages.  Every moment is precious and filled. 
     I know my mom is now exhausted for all the hard work she put in this week, and my dad too for keeping him up late nights, but he got to escape to work.  I'll guess an ounce of her will be glad to have her quieter, newly retired life back.  But, she'd never admit it.  In fact, I know we'll see watery eyes when we leave this morning for our next stop on our journey north.
     We love you Mimi & Papa Tex!
      

No comments:

Post a Comment