Monday, July 9, 2012

A Farewell


    Three weeks ago, on Father's Day, I posted about our Pastor, Rob Harbin, deciding to take a Call to Tennessee and what a big hole their family would leave here in Pearland.  Our big joke was that he ruined Father's Day for Kenny.  Well, this Sunday - the 8th was our (me and Kenny's) 12th anniversary.  A sweet, romantic day, right?  Well, no.  Those Harbin's did it again.  We were at our church's other location in Missouri City, what the kids call "the little church" or a strip mall, for worship where Pastor Rob gave his final sermon to the small congregation.  His real last sermon will be at "the big church" in Pearland next week but we are unable to be there or for the big farewell bash planned.  It was probably better this way.  We had our good-byes and hugs in a small setting and they were gone.
     The most impressive coincidence is that Pastor Harbin chose Philippians 1:3-6, a letter from Paul to the church in Philippi for his farewell verse.  It reads:  "I thank my God every time I remember you.  In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."
   Why is this such a coincidence, you ask?  If you were to look on the inscription of my wedding ring, the wedding ring I got 12 years to the day, it also says "I thank my God every time I remember you." Ironic, right?  I probably would not have thought about the ring, the wedding dress, the vows, and the memory of the amazing day 12 years ago when Kenny first put the ring on my finger had Pastor not focused his sermon on this verse, this verse hidden not only on my wedding ring but is displayed on frames and candles in my house.  It is a verse of thanks, and of promise.  Thanksgiving that the Lord has placed amazing people in our lives to keep us steadfast, and held accountable, but also a promise that the teaching's we've learned or the friendships we've gained will not be forgotten.   
      Fitting I think for both a marriage of 12 years and a farewell to a family after God's own heart that we'll remember fondly.
    
  

No comments:

Post a Comment