Thursday, July 19, 2012

Cowgirls at Heart


   
      One of the more anticipated activities for the kids when traveling to Oklahoma is visiting my sister's family out in the country.  Every summer whether it's July 4th or a week or two later, the kids get to set off fireworks.  That's the nice thing about the country -no set laws and at least for Talala, Oklahoma, no fire ban.  But even better than fireworks is every visit the kids get to ride horses.  Every year they seem to ride a little bit more.  It starts with sitting on the horse when they are little and snapping a dozen pictures, then moves to being led by a lead rope, to now, getting to trot. 
     Elijah has always been a bit leery of going too fast on the horse and once his one time around the field is done, he's had enough.  It's not his thing.  Lanie is just now at the age where she is led around more than once, but she prefers playing with the kittens.  Lydia though, my boot-loving girl, always pushes for more and this time she wanted to go faster. Just walking wasn't enough.  She surprised everyone by how much she enjoyed trotting.  I think it helps that two of her friends back home are taking horse-back riding lessons and her cousin is a super-star rodeo gal.    


     In suburban Texas, it's cool to be country in the city.  And since I've got country in my roots, I'm pleased as punch (really pushing the southern phrases).  Mysister would laugh hearing me say that.  Just because I didn't own a horse at age 18 like she did and just because I don't wear wranglers every day like her, doesn't mean I don't love my Waylon, Willie, Patsy, and good two-stepping music. I've even watched Pure Country about a zillion times just to see George sing "I Cross My Heart."
      I know at my little house on Glencullen Lane I don't have hay to bale or a stable to clean, but I'll always be a cowgirl at heart. I'm crossing my fingers that Lydia is too. 


 

Lanie begged to take the lead.
Lydia trotting -- too fast for a clear picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment