Friday, July 27, 2012

Just What We Needed

    








     



       I haven't had a chance to write about our second Vacation Bible School - Adventures on Promise Island that I got to be apart of our church's satellite location in Missouri City.  And now it's already over! After teaching at a 400+ VBS at our Pearland campus, downsizing to 70 kids was refreshing, but just as exhausting.  We danced, we sang, we praised and I got lots of wonderful hugs.  The best part of the week was I got to teach the Missions class, a class on how we can support other countries and their need for fresh water along with helping the kids find ways to save water everyday.   Because we didn't have any curriculum, I got to make each day's class material up.   I scoured the internet for any water activities I could come up with that would also create a cohesive connection to our Saving Christ. I enjoyed getting to write a lesson plan again, even if it was for just a 25 minute period.  Instead of following someone else's script, I got to write mine.  That was freeing, but again exhausting.
         Because I am who I am, I was preparing till late hours for each day.  At the same time, Kenny was staying up till 1 or 2am trying to make up for the all the work he's missed with the hurt hand, the traveling, and his help with VBS.  We both felt a bit in the weeds.  I can even prove it.  We got home from the midwest on Sunday, and didn't unpack until Thursday.  That's 4 days.  That NEVER happens.  I'm a believer in immediate unpacking.  Even now, 5 days late, my clothes are still in a pile to wash.  We just can't catch up.
       Until now.  It's Friday.  We ate at home.  We didn't go anywhere. We sat on the floor. Kenny played games with the kids. We watched the Olympic Opening Ceremony.  We started prayers and bedtime early.  It was a glorious night.  And so, so needed. 
Mary Poppins had just dropped down to scare away all the villains from British literature (Voldermort, Cruella Deville, Captain Hook).  If you watched the ceremonies with kids then you probably got a lot of, "What? Why?" questions.  Hard to describe artistic choices to a 3-year-old.

No comments:

Post a Comment