Monday, September 17, 2012

Health Shmealth

     For the past (almost) 39 years, I've eaten whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted.  Today, that wonderful freedom is a joy, but also a curse.  A joy because I've never worried about the best diet out there, whether Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Nutri-System, Grapefruit, or the Subway diet is the best choice.  A curse because now with (what seems like the whole world or my circle of influence) trending on super-duper healthy eating, I've fallen behind.  Gone are the days of the old food pyramid, the "get a balanced diet" mantra.  Something new has taken its place.
       The first person I know who became gluten-free always had headaches, so take away gluten, and the headaches were gone.  I thought it was pretty clever that he recognized the cause.  The next person had Crohn's disease, so she couldn't have dairy, so that seemed like a good thing to get rid of.  The next one couldn't eat corn so gone were tortilla chips.  Another quit eating processed foods, but instead used ingredients from home and now she looks fantastic. Now, there's a boom of Paleo and Primal eating that encourges eating only high-quality meats and organic vegetables and shuns all dairy, soy, gluten, corn, sugars, and so much more.  But every person I know who has made these elimination changes will never look back.  They swear by the changes in their life, their energy levels, their pain-free living, and their overall health. It sounds wonderful.  And I would love to have their constitution. 
       So why is this stressing me out so much?  Because I have pain and I want to get rid of it, inflammatory-drug free.  My first attempts at healthy eating have been good.  I've not had my usual nightly sherbet or Fruity Pebbles for weeks.  I haven't had oatmeal, milk, bread or peanut butter or much cheese (hear my tears).  And truly, I feel like I deserve an award, a great shiny medal because of that.  But if I want to follow the path of those who "feel great" I have to do more, much more.  I just don't know if I can, or if I want to. 
     The complication is in the research.  I will search a medical website for a list of super-foods for inflammation and then research another website for best vitamins for energy, and then another for foods to eliminate and I can never find total agreement. And the researcher-librarian in me finds that a bit fishy.  (Helpful tip: all medical professionals agree that fishy food is great for your diet.  So if you like kale and seaweed and salmon, you're good to go.)  Along with looking at specific foods that help and hurt the body, I've also looked at more direct therapy routes and I'm blasted with so many different types.  I've seen a physical therapist, several in fact, a few chiropractors, and had many deep tissue massages.  I have a friend who is a therapist who focuses on decompression and stabilization and she has helped me with those exercises and I've been looking at Active Release Therapy, a newer way to work the tissues.  And (sorry that this keeps going) this past week I tried Acupuncture for the first time.  There I learned that my chi energy comes from my kidneys.  And about 3 herbs I should be taking.
    My mind is spinning.  Isn't yours?  And I get angry.  So very angry that there's not an easy answer.
    What's a self-absorbed, dis-contented girl in neck-to-knee pain to do?

    Well, here's what I did yesterday after listening to Pastor Jon in Sunday School and an hour of a Beth Moore study later that day.  Strangely, with two completely different topics, they discussed the same scripture.  I prayed John 10:10 where Jesus says, "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that you may have life, and have it to the FULL!"
    Lovely, isn't it?  Life to the FULL.  My pain is certainly not the end of the world.  It is merely a bump in the road and something will fall into place, be it through natural food choices, vitamins & herbs, or therapy. Or maybe it won't.  Does it matter when Christ came to save me from the thief who will steal and kill and instead give me life eternally?  That's an overflowing cup.  I'd prefer a pain-free life, but I have to keep reminding myself I'm living an abundant life now, good health or not. 

   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment