Monday, May 9, 2011

Losing the battle - but just for now

I have been in the thick of, well if you call updating my resume and filling out 4 applications at different school districts in the Houston area, in the thick of it - well I am searching for a part time library position. I have been emailing old professors, mentors, and have even emailed people I don't know that I've met through the Texas Library Listserv. I still have a class this summer - Research Design - and then, truly, I'm done. I'm tired of school. It's been 5 long years -- would have been 4 -- but I added 4 extra classes on, and I'm ready to be done. I would like to find a position, part-time for the school year since I'll be home with Lanie 3 days, but ready to work the other two. It's not looking good. Here's the email I got back from a mentor ----
Hi Jennifer, Right now, I am sure you have found this out, jobs in a school district are at a premium. There isn’t much part-time at all. We had one part time library position but it was cut. I will keep my eyes and ears open for something. I am sorry.

I am disheartened that something I love - that libraries - are losing the battle. It's not just about books - it's about teaching kids how to be life-long learners, how to be savvy researchers, how to use current web tools, and so much more. And yes, it's still about reading and loving how a character, a setting, a plot, a word - can move you. It's still about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment