Wednesday, November 13, 2013

10 on 11-12-13



40 and 10

Is it possible?  Did I really just celebrate a milestone 40 years only to follow it up two weeks later with my baby turning 10??  Was it really that long ago?  Have we really been parenting for a decade?
It's 11-12-13 (love when it works out like that) but almost midnight.  I just went into Elijah's room, just one more time to tell him happy birthday (even though he's asleep) and to tell him that I love him.  These past ten years have got to be THE decade of the most change in my life.  I went from a newly married gal working 10-12 hour days to a clueless parent of a fussy, reflux-plagued baby with a towhead.  And I didn't even know what tow-head meant until I had him. Then he moved into this rascal who craved constant motion and  loved parking cars, trains, and all things involving his dad and a ball.  How quickly and smoothly he's moved into a school kid who loves sports, loves reading and still loves constant activity - only now with his video games.

I think I'm going to love double digits.  I asked Elijah earlier to tell me what will make age ten different.  His response was so mature:  "I know I'll have more responsibility but I'll also get to do a lot more things for kids like ten years and up."  When I asked him what's one thing he wanted to do before he turned 11, he told me he wanted to stay at the house for a whole night by himself.  This coming from the kid who told me just yesterday he wasn't sure he wanted to go to a sleepover camp next summer because he likes being at home more.  When I questioned a "whole night" he quickly changed that to "Just an hour or so."  Maybe just a small dose of independence - but not too much.

My baby is trying to grow up and sometimes I want to let him.  I like to imagine him as an 17 or 18-year-old, trying to figure out his future.  Other times, okay, usually, I want to sit down with him on his bed and talk about old times.  I want to remind him of all the baby things he did, of all the crying it out, the temper tantrums, the crazy made-up games, of all the funny things he's said.  He's my first and (sadly to my girls) I have clearer memories of him.  I don't want to let them go.  And while I have umpteen pictures, there's nothing better than a "remember when" story.  My kids relish those moments. They love to be the star of the story.

And today Elijah was the star.

I will relish 10.  It's a good age.
Of course you'll need to remind me of that when I'm rolling my eyes at the armpit noises in the backseat, but yeah, I like double digits.  It's looking good so far.

-------------------------------------
Picture side note:  Elijah spent his birthday with a few friends at Dave and Buster's.  His favorite game -- 4 person Pac Man.  Who would have guessed?

No comments:

Post a Comment