Thursday, August 15, 2013

My Lone Star List



     While the kids all had their Summer To-Do lists, I also had mine.  It had very little to do with getting into a car and going anywhere, but instead everything to do with laying in my bed or sitting in my favorite chair and reading, reading, reading, which if I wanted to wax poetic, I would say that reading also takes me to other worlds.



     For my new job, my main goal for the summer is to read books on this list:  The Lone Star Book List. For my Texas friends, this compilation is like the Bluebonnet Books.  Teachers and librarians have gathered the best books written for intermediate or junior high students into one great list.  And lucky me (and I don't say that sarcastically, but happily) -- I am responsible for knowing these books, for advertising these books, for book-talking these books to 7th and 8th graders in hopes that they will fall in love with them, like me.

       I have learned a lot about myself this summer, or at least a lot about myself as a reader.  While I certainly have my more favorite genres, mostly realistic girlie fiction, I have come to understand that I just really like to read anything written well.  On my own, I would have never chosen Insignia, a story bout a boy with a chip on his shoulder who joins the military of the future that inserts a computer chip in his brain and teaches him to fights wars via video screens in space.  I would most likely have not picked up The False Prince, a story set during sword-fighting days, which started my least favorite way - with a mean guy hurting an orphan kid.  I hate stories that have injustice, but I stuck with it and the climax and aha moment was enough to keep me up hiding my kindle light under covers 'til 2am.  There were others that I recommend immediately for readers like me.  If you liked the Sisters with Secret Pants, then you'll love Smart Girls Get What they Want about three best friends who are all at the top of their class.  But after finding a yearbook of an older sister, a sister who was also Yale-driven smart, that said things like, "I didn't really know you," They decide not to make her mistakes and be a nobody, but to do it all - be smart, and yet still make their mark and maybe even fall in love.  There's also Curveball: The Year I Lost My Grip about two boys, best friends, and great baseball players.  They've made the perfect pitcher and catcher team for years until one of them gets hurt.  Not only does it challenge the friendship, but the accident turns a boy from an athlete to a photographer.  It's great writing, so honest, and so real.  And finally, my last recommendation that is by far the best book I've ever read that sends the message of tolerance for people who look different is Wonder.  I believe Wonder is on every level book list this year and rightfully so.  I don't care you're age, pick up the book my friend, and read it for yourself or read it to your kid.  You'll be glad you did.
I really could go on and on, but seeing the length of this paragraph, I feel like I've probably already said too much.

     I have only a few days left and I won't get the list completed in time, but I've made a valiant effort with 12 down, 8 to go. I'm hoping that by October, I've completed them all.  If you want to jump on the teen reading with me, I'd be happy to take you along on this ride. There are some amazing writers who speak to this age level, and if you remember those years as a thirteen and fourteen-year-old you remember how moody they can be.  From loving one moment, angry the next, then sad, then happy again and filled with angst, any writer who can capture those somersaults in a kid, can also capture my attention as an adult reader.

    And for every Hunger Games written, there are also less than stellar young adult books that I suppose I should also read because usually, those are the ones that the kids check out - the predictable books, the gross books, the overly dramatic books.  It's good to know my audience.

    But I'll keep pushing the Lone Stars, because they are just. that. good.

* Apologies for all the Amazon book covers.  I was just too lazy to get them without the Look Inside! message.







No comments:

Post a Comment