Thursday, July 24, 2014

Flashback #4: Something about the Skies


Kenny turned 40 a few months ago and celebrated in Flight.  For some reason we Wards like to take to the skies for birthdays (see blog post about my 40th hot air balloon ride.)  But Kenny was completely on his own for his sky dive jump.  He asked several friends to take the risk, but no one was willing.  We had some that were busy, others that wouldn't jump out of a perfectly good airplane, one that wouldn't until her daughter grew up (didn't want to chance leaving an orphan), and still another wouldn't risk a fall since sky dive jumps weren't covered by insurance.  I was surprised no one else jumped (hee hee) at the chance.  Including myself.  I think myself daring - but not really. 

It was a beautifully warm May Saturday and I waited, watching the skies. Our friend Bryant came out to support - so nice of him.  We were lucky enough to be there at the same time a world record was made -- we watched S.O.S (Skydivers over Sixty) break a large formation world record with 21 jumpers at the same time.  It was pretty amazing. 



It wasn't my first rodeo at a sky dive park - K also jumped with his friend Mike for his 30th birthday. I was prepared.  I liken it to watching a marathon.  You never want to do it yourself, but when you get there to watch, you almost wish you were the one signing on the "I Agree that SKy Dive Space Land is not responsible . . . " dotted line because it seems like such a bonding experience. And I say bonding quite literally since both times Kenny has jumped, he's had a guy strapped to his back. 


While you're waiting on your sky diver to jump, you basically chance a crick in your neck.  You never really know which plane is the one you're watching, which parachute is yours to snap a picture of.  Bryant and I watched every shadow of a body float down - "that's him, no, it's not.   That's him, no it's not."  Finally though, we saw a blue and white parachute float to the ground, and there was Kenny skidding to a stop.  

He was back.  He was safe.  No drama.  No spectacle. Just my 40-year-old adventurer at heart. And while I thank him for choosing family and working to support a family over all the risky things he'd like to try, and all the places he'd like to go, I'm happy he got to celebrate The Hill his way - jumping over it. 






No comments:

Post a Comment