Saturday, May 24, 2014

Flashback #1: The Diamondbacks


I feel like I've done several baseball posts in the past, but this year has been different than other years for Elijah.  This spring we have been immersed in little league but for E, one of only 3 10-year-olds on a team of 11-year-olds, it's been a whole new experience.            The kid works so hard but he admits, he doesn't LOVE baseball the way he does other sports.  This is his first year to spend a lot of his time in outfield, sometime on the bench, and a few times at 2nd base.  At the beginning, I was a bit miffed - doesn't his coach know he's a 1st baseman, that first is all he's ever played.  But after I watched a few games, I realized, the players coach chose for those important spots really deserved them and Elijah would have to learn to sit in the background a bit.  They won their first 4 games and as Elijah likes to say, "that's more games than my team won last year the whole season!"  He was pleased and didn't mind sitting out, or being in center field.  And for this mom who began the season frustrated, relaxed and actually enjoyed not having to worry that my son would have to make the big play or that he would be the one to miss the base out.  I just got to watch kids play baseball and cheer on Elijah when he was up to bat and tell him how fun it was to watch him play when it was all over.  It's been pretty free-ing.

And since I've waited until now to post about his team - we got the good news that they made it to the district tournament - by the skin of their teeth, but they made it and we start next week.  No matter the outcome of the tournament, this season will definitely go down as the least stressful, at least from the viewpoint as a fan in the stands.  I could go on and on about all the other stresses of our Spring -- but that's never fun to talk about.  So I'll end here.

Go Diamondbacks!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment