Friday, December 27, 2013

The Expectation of SOMETHING











EXPECTATIONS.  If I had to tag this picture, that's what I'd call it.
It tells such a story.
Lanie is so happy to be opening her first Christmas present of the morning.  Lydia, while watching, is so hopeful, so expectant for her.  I love that image.
I'm not sure why Elijah's head is in his hand.  Maybe he just expected to be next in line to open his presents, but never fear, by the end of the day, his turn came several times.

Before the big grandparent, aunt, uncle and cousin gathering for the ultimate12-person gift opening craziness, we had our small family Christmas.  For the past 3 years, we've held tight to a theme.  On paper, it's pretty simple.  Each kid gets 4 gifts -


1. Something You Want. 
(Lanie got her wish for doll clothes)

















2. Something You Need.
(Lydia got her much needed bedspread.  She got her last one for Christmas when she was two and moving into the bunk bed from her toddler bed. It was definitely time.)





3. Something to Wear. 
( Elijah loves the random "What does the Fox Say" song that the rest of the world can't stand - but I gave in and bought him a shirt with a fox that says "ring-ding-ding-ding-ding" or something like that.  Oh, and behind him you'll see Lydia in her new owl shirt she immediately put one.)


4.  Something to Read.
(Of course, out of the 3, Elijah is the one who actually opens the books I got him and reads the first chapter.  Love my bookworm.)

I love the theme, and want to thank my friend Jenelle for ever sparking the idea in us.  It gives us parameters and purpose when buying.  Of course, because I am my mother's daughter, I like to go overboard and then push random gifts into those parameters.  But at least it's a start.

For me?  My joyful expectations for Christmas rested on two things -
1.  "Silent Night" by candlelight in my home church, Good Shepherd.  If I had to be anywhere else to sing this lullaby of Jesus birth, it would be here: My parents and my family of 5 squished into a pew, holding tight to our candles while the lights slowly fade to black.  If I'm not choked up, I always like to stop, be still and listen to the harmony around me.  This tradition happens in churches world-wide, and I'm not alone in how much I look forward to it, but to be in the church you were baptized in, grew up in, was confirmed in, and married in -- makes it all the more sweet.

2.  A family meal.  It's not often that every Buehring/Morrison/Downum/Ward gets to press 12 bodies around a table and share a home-made meal together. I can always count on a few things:  that at least one child (Lanie) will spill or get food on them, that Mimi will tear up during the prayer, that my children will eat only two things on their plate and run away, and that my undigested dinner will be followed up with too much banana pudding. And it all happened - just like I thought it would.



Thank you mom and dad for letting us invade your home, and completely mess it up.  Thank you for the time you gave to us, for the gifts you gave our family, and for all the surprises along the way. And while gifts are great to open, the expectation of coming home again was just what I needed.  




No comments:

Post a Comment